Safety Precautions


The following are generally suggested practices to be used when handling and working with these products. For further information, please carefully consult the safety warnings specific to each product .

Physiological effect
OTFE is harmless if ingested. Skin contact with airborne polymer particles or sintered finishes presents no risk of irritation or allergy.
PTFE formulated non-stick products, however, contain one or more  potentially dangerous substances if ingested or handled (solvents, pigments, est.) It is prudent to avoid skin and eye contact: in case of such contacts flush skin and eyes with water for 15 minutes. Medical attention should be given for eye contact. Breathing of vapors produced during
the spraying and drying operations should be avoided.

Fire hazard
PTFE one of the most flame resistant plastic materials . If exposed to open flame only the decomposition vapors produced in that moment ignite. When the flame is removed the material stops burning. The primer and anti -adherent finishes are not flammable.

Toxic effects of PTFE 
Direct exposure to the vapors caused by heat decomposition of PTFE finishing products at temperatures up to 420c can cause the onset of polymer Fever, similar to the better known foundry man's Fever. The symptoms of this malady are chills, headache, and increased body
temperature. these symptoms usually come on many hours after exposure to the fumes and disappear after approximately 36 to 48 hours, without medical treatment. It causes no lasting or cumulative effects.
The decomposition products which develop at higher temperatures can be much more toxic and breathing them should always be avoided.
It is further recommended to constantly maintain negative pressure in baking ovens, not to exceed recommended temperatures and, in any case, never to breath the fumes that may escape from the extremities of the oven. It is further recommended to refrain from smoking in the work area to prevent PTFE contamination of cigars, cigarettes, etc. and therefore prevent the possibility of inhaling PTFE decomposition vapors. 
During spray operation a spray booth with adequate ventilation should be used, and a filter mask worn. The breathing of spray mist or vapor should be avoided.

Smoking should be prohibited in areas where coatings are applied, as should the eating and drinking of food.
good personal hygiene should be observed, including washing hands before eating and smoking.
Information's on the specific hazardous ingredients are shown in the individual products safety sheets. Regulations regarding the use and handling of these products may be different from country to country and should be checked, to ensure local regulations are complied with.
When removing a cured film by any mechanical technique, it should be noted that although solids film of OTFE do not present any particular fire hazard, small particles (" fines") of these films can become extremely combustible in the presence of various metal fines when exposed to temperature above 425c. An intimate mixture of such finely, divided fluorocarbon and metal powder (e.g. aluminum, magnesium) particles will react violently when subjected to high temperatures and the resulting fire can only be extinguished by radically lowering the temperature of the material. It may be possible to generate such mixtures from operations such as grit blasting with abrasives for reclaiming previously coated parts or from grinding or buffing operations to remove cured over spray coating. Good housekeeping should prevent the accumulation of these fines mixtures, but when their collection is 
absolutely necessary, they should be maintained in a wet state.
If ventilation is used as the primary method of dust control, a maintenance schedule should be established to keep the system in efficient working order. In all cases adequate means of quenching heat quickly ( e.g. sprinkler systems, water-based portable fire extinguishers) should be accessible in all vulnerable locations.